Army Talk

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Bronze Serpent of the Modern Day

In Num 21:8-9 God instructed Moses to "Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live." So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. It was an image that facilitated worship and led to salvation.

However, before long the image that facilitated worship became the object of worship. The Bible says that the Israelites were burning incense to it. (2 Kings 18:4) At least until Hezekiah came along. “He removed the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles.” And if that wasn’t enough to tick off an entire nation look at what he did next: “He broke into pieces the bronze snake Moses had made, for up to that time the Israelites had been burning incense to it.” 2 Kings 18:1-5

Hummmm . . . I wonder . . . have we aloud any image or practice intended to facilitate worship to become the object of worship?

Hezekiah refused to let a nation become distracted by such objects. 2 Kings18:5 says, “Hezekiah trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel. There was no one like him among all the kings of Judah, either before him or after him.”

What’s he known for? Following God and tearing down the distractions. I wonder if people in the Israelite community hated him. I wonder if leaders in the community slandered him. I wonder what kind of opposition he went against to make such radical change.

How about you? Are you willing to do the same? For me . . . I’m still waffling on the edge. Some have said, “Let it go Bret, it’s not worth it.” But I think it is.

What about you? What idols need to come down? What will it take? What do you think?

4 Comments:

  • I don't know? What do you want to be remembered for?Why is it you are wavering on the edge?What is it you need to let go of?I'm not sure that I can pinpoint a specific idol.What's you thoughts?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 AM  

  • Anonymous,

    Thanks for the comments . . . The edge?

    You have to understand that there are some idols that are very difficult to tear down. They are heavily guarded. Tearing them down can be seen as act of rebellion and a refusal to “submit” to the Army’s leadership. The end result would be “toe the line or beat it.”

    When it comes to the BIG “idols” there are only two ways: The Army way and the highway. Tearing down idols comes with a heavy price. Thus, the “edge” I’m referring to.

    Blessings,

    Bret

    By Blogger Bret, at 9:28 PM  

  • Hey Bret,

    This is a good post that is obviously going to create a little brow raising.

    The first clue to what we should do, I believe, lies in the fact that it was the king who tore it down.

    Could it be that it will have to be someone of great influence and position who is called to tear down some idols?

    Blessings,
    Johnny

    By Blogger Johnny, at 6:01 PM  

  • Hey there. I would agree that there are quite a few other issues to speak out against. I wasn't at the congress where the General mentioned women in leadership. I only heard about it 2nd hand. I have, however, heard him speak out against "sin in the camp," meaning a lack of personal and corporate holiness within the Army.

    I think this General's the real deal...and he may only be warming up...

    By Blogger Rob, at 11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home