Army Talk

Monday, August 21, 2006

Making Disciples

When Jesus called his disciples to follow him, he wasn’t just expecting them to learn from him or learn about his teachings, but rather he was expecting his disciples to be like him. His followers had the same expectation- that they would be like their rabbi. This was the desire of all talmidim (disciples) in Jesus’ day. They wanted to be like their rabbi.

This explains why Peter stepped out of the boat to walk on water. Jesus was walking on water and Peter wanted to be like his rabbi, so he took a step of faith and walked on water.

In Luke 10 the seventy-two whom Jesus sent out returned with joy and said, "Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name." (Luke 10:17). Why did they return with joy? Because they could see that they were becoming just like their rabbi.

So what does this mean for us? As leaders and disciple-makers we must ask ourselves this question: “Am I the kind of person I want my followers to become?” Paul said to his disciples “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.” (1 Cor 11:1)

This question really resonates with me as an officer and challenges the practices and priorities of the organization that I am a part of. Look out our/your leaders . . . is that what you/we want to become? Are they setting an example that we want to follow? Are we setting an example that honors God, glorifies Jesus and challenges others to be more like Him?

Any thoughts?

7 Comments:

  • Awesome post!

    I really don't have a leader, at the moment, that I would inspire to be like who isn't in some other state and isn't too popular to get near.

    I guess the leaders that we could most desire to imitate are more like celebrities these days. Not that that is a bad thing. Even great teachers in Jesus' day were considered to be somewhat immortalized.

    It's just interesting to pause and consider the fact that there are so few imitation-worthy leaders within our immediate influence.

    Grace and peace,
    Johnny

    By Blogger Johnny, at 1:33 PM  

  • Thank you Bret for reminding me of the responsibility set before me as an officer. Many times we can get wrapped up in the checklist, that the example is less than desirable or admirable.

    By Blogger Nicole_Marietta, at 3:43 PM  

  • Just about to recommend Nolands blog on Incarnational Leadership - but, uh, - yeah.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 AM  

  • Have all of you filled out the questionnaire from the Chief?

    By Blogger Johnny, at 2:29 PM  

  • yes

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:24 PM  

  • Yes. . . what did you guys suggest?

    By Blogger Bret, at 2:10 PM  

  • I suggested that we teach leaders how to be confident, willing to accept criticism and suggestions, and be leaders who invest in and build up others to lead.

    I also suggested that we train leaders to put more trust in those who lead in the corps. It is more motivating for a corps when the corps chooses what to do for discipleship, evangelism, world services, et cetera, as opposed to being told what they will do by all the Moms and Dads at headquarters.

    I said a lot more, of which I can’t remember at the moment.

    I was actually a little disappointed that there was no place to put my name. I don't mind people knowing what I think. The fact that we are expected to want to remain anonymous is a testimony to the insecure mentality of those at the proverbial top.

    I guess they have gotten comfortable with the “private board meeting” idea that is so popular among corporations where they are afraid to ask for advice from those on the front lines.

    Grace and peace,
    Johnny

    By Blogger Johnny, at 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home