Army Talk

Saturday, February 11, 2006

What Do Leaders Do?


James B. Richards has written a book called “The Lost Art Of Leadership.” His idea of leadership is that “the key to success is not using other people to fulfill our dreams but helping them fulfill theirs.” He says that “leaders inspire commitment by demonstrating commitment to their people and to the philosophy and goals of the organization. . . people who know they are genuinely cared for are much more likely to give themselves freely and wholeheartedly to the organization and its mission.”

As church leaders, God calls us “to prepare God's people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up (Eph 4:12).” Part of helping people fulfill their dreams is helping them understand who God created them to be and what He wants them to do. Helping people discover, develop and use their spiritual gifts is one way to help people find fulfillment and purpose in life.

Committing ourselves the development and growth of our people will not only change them, but it will change us and it will change others. Someone once said, “If I could win and disciple five people, I would do well. However, if I could help five people win and disciple five other people, I would do better.”

Blessings,

Bret

4 Comments:

  • Do you really believe they are YOUR people or are they God's? Winning people in my opinion is not a good metaphor. Traveling with them to Christ is probably a better metaphor. See my response to your comments on my blog.

    By Blogger Larry, at 8:21 AM  

  • No. . .Your right. They are definitely God’s people. Traveling with them to Christ is a better metaphor.

    I think that leaders refer to them as “their” people because they have accepted the responsibility to care, nurture, and grow the people that God has entrusted into their care.

    Even though Jesus understood that his people really belonged to God (JN 17:9), he still said, “This is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all that he has given me, but raise them up at the last day (John 6:39).” In John 17:24 Jesus said, “I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory.” Even though they were God’s people, Jesus accepted responsibility for them.

    The writer of Hebrews made a similar statement when he said, “Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account (Heb 13:17).”

    We are responsible for the people under our leadership and we will be held accountable for how and where we lead them. It is in that sense and spirit that I refer to “my” people.

    I like the idea of traveling with them to Christ because it removes the domineering /dictatorship style of leadership that I am so much against and puts all of us on level ground.

    Thanks for commenting.

    Blessings,

    Bret

    By Blogger Bret, at 2:49 PM  

  • Bret, I appreciate your input. I think it is true that we are to help others see their dreams come to fruition.

    I also believe that we, as leaders, are responsible for the flock of Christ, which is the entire world of found and lost sheep.

    Christ has hired shepherds (leaders/pastors/teachers/et cetera) to take care of his flock until He returns. And when He returns, we will all be asked, "How did you take care of and prepare my flock for my return.

    Forever learning,
    Johnny

    By Blogger Johnny, at 2:04 PM  

  • Amen Johnny. Thanks for commenting.

    Blessings,

    Bret

    By Blogger Bret, at 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home